Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Pinecone Winter Canvas

Hi all! First I want to wish you a very Merry Christmas!! I hope you will have a wonderful time. We are settling into our new place and although the snow hasn't arrived yet it is pretty cold today and the world is white with frost. It might snow a little later tonight, perhaps in time for Santa's arrival. Here Santa comes to the houses and hands out the gifts on Christmas Eve, and doesn't need to squeeze through the chimney.
 
My studio/study is partly set up, although I have pretty limited supplies, most of it is coming later. I was very happy to be crafting again after all the moving arrangements. Here's a little canvas I made yesterday using a new Sizzix die by Susan Tierney-Cockburn, called White Pine Pinecones. It makes lovely pinecones and I am also very fond of the two leaves in the die set. Instead of making my pinecones brown, I went for silver and beige, for a frosty winter feeling.
 
To make these, I first misted watercolour paper with Tim Holtz new Distress Spray Stains: Brushed Pewter, Antique Linen, and Evergreen Bough. Remember to mist both sides of the paper. This is a real quick way of colouring large piece of paper. Die cut the parts of the pinecones and shape them with the Susan's Garden tools. These dies work great together with the Magnetic Platform. Sandwich: Magnetic Platform, cutting pad, paper, die facing down, second cutting pad.
 
You can use Yes! Paste to build the pinecones around, but I used Ranger's Texture Paste instead. Make a little oval pile on a piece of scrap plastic, or on your craft sheet, and start building the pinecones from below. Aim to create a conical shape. Leave to dry. When dry, I added a little bit of Glossy Accents at the base and here and there to make sure the papers were stuck. The pinecones were inked with Gathered Twigs.

The leaves were die cut from the Evergreen Bough coloured paper and I cut some of them with a pair of scissors to make them even finer. 
 
I found a natural based canvas (4 x 4 in) in a drawer in my old desk, which I must have bought years ago. It was painted with gesso, and when dry, I added some Antique Linen and Walnut Stain Distress Paint. The sentiment is by Tim Holtz.

I glued the leaves with Glossy Accents and then smeared Texture Paste on the canvas and pressed the pinecones into the paste, which works as a glue. More paste was added to the leaves and the pinecones and then I covered it with Rock Candy Distress Glitter, for a snowy look. 
 

The canvas is chunky and I smeared some more paste here and there on the sides, also sprinkling with the glitter.
 
Thank you so much for looking!! And again, Merry Christmas!!
 
Anna-Karin
 
Supplies:
Surfaces: Canson Montval Watercolour Paper; canvas 4 x 4 in
Dies: Sizzix: White Pine Pinecones
Stamps: Stamper's Anonymous Tim Holtz: Mini Handwritten Holidays
Ink: Distress Ink: Gathered Twigs; Stazon Jet Black
Mist: Distress Spray Stain: Antique Linen, Evergreen Bough, Brushed Pewter
Paint: Distress Paint: Antique Linen, Walnut Stain
Medium: Ranger: Texture Paste, Dina Wakley Gesso
Glitter: Rock Candy Distress Glitter

10 comments:

  1. beautiful card! :) Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous canvas, love the pinecones and the frosty touches. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stupendous Anna-Karin. Even with limited supplies you create incredibly beautiful pieces. Wishing you a wonderful Christmas and a creative New Year. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  4. So soft and beautiful! Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did wonderfully well with limited supplies, your canvas is just stunning. I love your new pine cone die and the leaves are beautiful too. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas (Eve) and a very happy New Year. Thank you for all your wonderful inspiration this year. Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad to see you online tonight! I thought it may even be longer before you could connected here.

    What a beautiful canvas you share! I love the frosted pinecones.

    May and your family have a special holiday season!...Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah Anna-Karin I am so sorry that I never got to see you before you left. With Simon tearing all the tendons and ligaments in his leg I was run off my feet playing nursemaid and day carer. I do hope that the move went well and that you are settling. How are you feeling? I hope you are not overdoing it. :) Merry Christmas.
    I love this canvas by the way it is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Happy Crafting!